Closed: Community Development Worker
This is a great opportunity for someone with experience of community development, community engagement, community support or community outreach work. You will work with residents in the local community and build partnerships with local informal and formal organisations and community-based groups, making connections and increasing opportunities for interaction, participation, collaboration and social action
Location: Based at Greenway Centre with engagement in the Southmead community
Salary: £24,231 – £25,210 pro rata
Contract type: Temporary/Contract
Hours: 3-4 days per week including some evenings and weekends
Holiday: 33 days annual leave (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
Benefits: Occupational pension, free membership to Greenway Gym and classes
Contact: Dawn O’Shea is our Recruitment Partner, contact her on email@example.com
How to apply: Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org putting the job title in the subject box. If your CV is short-listed, you will be contacted by telephone in the first instance, to discuss your application in more detail.
Deadline: Midday – Thursday 20th January 2022
- Experience of Community Development, Community Engagement, Community Support Work or Community Outreach work.
- An understanding of community development and engagement principles and experience of working in a community-based way to facilitate and amplify the energy and skills of residents.
- Experience of coordinating and facilitating meetings and focus groups
- Knowledge of the local area (North Bristol)
- Experience of working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Preferably, an understanding of an inclusive approach to engaging older people.
- Preferably, a knowledge of mental health services.
- A strong team player with the ability to develop partnerships and forge strong relationships
- Excellent facilitation and administration skills
- Outgoing, personable and enthusiastic with a commitment to the wellbeing of people in the community, a commitment to equal opportunities and a willingness to champion the values of the Trust; positivity, integrity, excellence, welcoming and entrepreneurial.
- Work with residents in the local community and build partnerships with local informal and formal organisations and community-based groups, making connections and increasing opportunities for interaction, participation, collaboration and social action.
- Work with colleagues to identify unmet needs within the community and work to develop new groups and services accordingly.
- Strengthen the capacity of equalities led groups and work with people experiencing the greatest inequality to rebuild community connections, take community action, improve practice and reach.
- Coordinate regular community consultation events and door-to-door outreach exercises, gathering community intelligence to maximise impact, particularly targeting those most isolated following the pandemic.
- Work with infrastructure support partners to help existing groups be accessible and sustainable and help people start new community groups and access funds and grants available
- Organise training and skill development events for community-based groups and individuals, based on the desires and interests of the community and bringing people together.
- Work to maximise digital and economic inclusion, training IT champions and providing an IT drop in space, ensuring people can access digital resources and are supported in developing the skills to use them
- Work with local social enterprises and the self-employed to develop networks, enhancing support and skill sharing.
- Work with colleagues to promote, build, support and celebrate the volunteering programme
- Keep accurate records and collect data to measure impact and progress
Southmead Development Trust is one of Bristol’s leading, independent, community led organisations. It is a multi-purpose charity providing much needed services for all ages and ethnicities and is made up of staff, volunteers and residents, working together to achieve a thriving community, improving health, wellbeing, local pride, and employment and bringing business and investment to the area. Their three sites (Greenway Centre, Southmead Youth Centre and Southmead Adventure Playground) are much-loved local venues that provide inspiring spaces for a wide variety of experiences, including sporting events, local groups, festivals and much more, where customers enjoy a fun, welcoming community with a large café and newly refurbished gym.
To view and download the full job description, please click here.
We are committed to building a staff team which represents the diverse community we work in. We encourage and welcome applications from all backgrounds.
Southmead Development Trust is a Disability Confident employer.
Please tell us if there are any reasonable adjustments you’d like us to make when you attend for interview or start work with us.